Saturday 25 October 2014

Johnny Marr Live at Brixton Academy (23 October 2014)


I went see Johnny Marr open his rather short UK tour to publicise the release of his new album ‘Playland’ on Thursday night. I am a great fan of The Smith from the 1980s when their music painted perfectly the mood of the times in Manchester and much of the rest of the country, outside of the south east.

Johnny Marr (and other Smithees, Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce) went to the same school as me, they were a year below. You know, when you are in the 5th year of secondary school, and there some of the fourth year that you deign to talk to? Well Johnny, Andy and Mike were those type of fourth formers.

I remember Johnny and Andy playing their acoustic guitars in the playground, ‘Stairway to Heaven’ was the favourite in those times.

Anyway, great concert it was, Noel Gallagher making a late guest appearance , and I’m really glad I got a ticket. Not all the audience were old rockers like me and my mates, the legend of The Smiths lives on, it is just a shame that Morrissey refuses to entertain any sort of reunion for the band. But we still have Johnny Marr.

The video/song above is ‘Lust for Life ’ from the other night, featuring Noel Gallagher as an encore, and below is 'There is a Light That Never Goes Out' and 'Panic'.






1 comment:

  1. Nice one, Mike
    Also a Johnny Marr fan. Johnny will still talk politics:

    http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/sep/27/johnny-marr-interview-a-lot-of-people-are-afraid

    and if you're from a new town - like me - his New Town Velocity is much appreciated

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEc9WZ1bkY

    Laurence

    ReplyDelete